Monthly costs: $60
Our costs are predicted to be covered for August, 2017. A huge thank you to all our donors!
If you like what we're doing, please become a donor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertising our minecraft server(s).

Advertising our minecraft server(s).

AFK and I were talking doing some advertising for the minecraft server on a bunch of different websites and wanted to post to the forums to see if advertising to the public was something we wanted to do or if we wanted to try to keep it community only. The reason this came up is because AFK posted that screenshot of the cavern on reddit and got a handful of people to traffic the server because of it. Reddit is not on the list of places we would like to advertise for obvious reasons but it made us realize that minecraft is still a popular game and people are still playing it. They just have to know where to find our servers.

Here's the list of the websites:

We checked all of them to make sure that they were legitimate and free.

If we do want to do this they would require refreshing the ad every 24 hours. AFK and I are willing to do this so that leads me to wonder if the accounts on these websites should be a universal TI account where we keep the login information for these in the TI forums somewhere.

Another thing that would have to be done is we would need an official TI banner to upload to the ads that basically has our logo and a few snippets of our major plugins.

From my past experience with these advertising websites, there are a few of them that require adding something to the server config (or something similar behind the scenes) to verify that we actually own the server and are not some random. If that were to come up we would need Kuckles support, or that of someone else willing and abled, to work with that for us.

And finally the next option we would have to consider is do we want to do this for just the multiverse server (which has had the most traffic lately from what I can tell) or do we also want to advertise the FTB server?

I'm uneasy about this. The minecraft server has always sort of been tertiary to the others, and mostly for members of the community who also happen to play minecraft, this is also a question of "do we want to police the minecraft server like GMod and TF2?"

I'm going to have to share my thoughts.

This does sound like a good idea, increased headcount of players on our MC servers, FTB too if it can be helped, as well as players who'd like to explore the community and see what other game servers we host.

... On paper, though.

The thing is, if it all turns out smoothly, do we have the time to responsibly keep an eye on our servers, AND have the proper tools to deal with asshats/people who should just know better, who are going to make an upset or create a disturbance? Would we be prepared for that and have what we need to make that happen?

Not to mention, dealing with more players than usual who are going to be adamant, should they be banned or perma-gagged/muted/silence for any given reason, about raising a stink on how we conduct our servers and how we function as a group (Or sit on the edge of the rules without breaking them, thus being a nuisance. That won't be 100% of players who do come by if we come by this, but we take in the good with the bad as a consequence).
    - "STRIP THE FLESH, SALT THE WOUNDS!" - Borderlands 1-2, Psycho Bandit
    "Strip the Cheese, Salt the dough." ~ [!?]Cruel - Pizza event

Quote Originally Posted by Xemgoa View Post
    I'm going to have to share my thoughts.

This does sound like a good idea, increased headcount of players on our MC servers, FTB too if it can be helped, as well as players who'd like to explore the community and see what other game servers we host.

... On paper, though.

The thing is, if it all turns out smoothly, do we have the time to responsibly keep an eye on our servers, AND have the proper tools to deal with asshats/people who should just know better, who are going to make an upset or create a disturbance? Would we be prepared for that and have what we need to make that happen?

Not to mention, dealing with more players than usual who are going to be adamant, should they be banned or perma-gagged/muted/silence for any given reason, about raising a stink on how we conduct our servers and how we function as a group (Or sit on the edge of the rules without breaking them, thus being a nuisance. That won't be 100% of players who do come by if we come by this, but we take in the good with the bad as a consequence).

I should also mention too that the last time I checked minecraft has plugins for bleeping out no-no words that we would consider hatespeech and also for griefing should we run into issues with that. That just creates homework for Kuckles which I'm not a fan of but it is an option if necessary.

Witty Koala Comment AFKristmas's Avatar $ Donor $
    Junior Admin

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: AFKoalaaa Origin Code: Bubblez350 BattleNet Code: DMMurph#1990 Minecraft Code: AFK_Gaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Butterscotch View Post
    I'm uneasy about this. The minecraft server has always sort of been tertiary to the others, and mostly for members of the community who also happen to play minecraft, this is also a question of "do we want to police the minecraft server like GMod and TF2?"
    I see no reason why we wouldn't do our admin duty on Minecraft. If I wanna play TF2 without doing admin things, I go to a Valve server or something. We just need to treat it like any other TI thing.

the RPG server has a jail feature where we can put someone who's misbehaving in jail quite easily.

You'd have to run this by Kuckles but I don't know how easy it would be to back up the server after a catastrophic destruction by trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnet View Post
    the RPG server has a jail feature where we can put someone who's misbehaving in jail quite easily.

You'd have to run this by Kuckles but I don't know how easy it would be to back up the server after a catastrophic destruction by trolls.
    This is the plugin for you

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/bigbrother/

Edit: it looks like that may be a bit out of date but this one is more up to date and probably coming out with a 1.9 version soon.

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/coreprotect/

Quote Originally Posted by ~AFK~ View Post
    I see no reason why we wouldn't do our admin duty on Minecraft. If I wanna play TF2 without doing admin things, I go to a Valve server or something.
    The contrast is that in minecraft my town, etc are only accessible on the one server, in TF2, clearly it doesn't really matter where you play. Besides though, this isn't really about whether or not I or we or whoever wants to admin on minecraft, it's really about how we're going to have people actually do it, only a select few of us frequent the minecraft server, and opening the gate to all, (even though it isn't really closed, per se), would require complete reworking of JA group permissions, plugins for anti-griefing, etc, etc. I'm not against it entirely, I'm just not convinced this is a good idea. What are we currently missing out on, that advertising our minecraft server to the masses would bring us, is what I guess I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Butterscotch View Post
    The contrast is that in minecraft my town, etc are only accessible on the one server, in TF2, clearly it doesn't really matter where you play. Besides though, this isn't really about whether or not I or we or whoever wants to admin on minecraft, it's really about how we're going to have people actually do it, only a select few of us frequent the minecraft server, and opening the gate to all, (even though it isn't really closed, per se), would require complete reworking of JA group permissions, plugins for anti-griefing, etc, etc. I'm not against it entirely, I'm just not convinced this is a good idea. What are we currently missing out on, that advertising our minecraft server to the masses would bring us, is what I guess I'm asking.

This isn't really true at all. There needs to be no reworking of JA permissions. We can mute and kick people as well as put them in jail. No permissions need to be reworked to police the server. And for all we know, kuckles may be ahead of us and already have an antigriefing plugin on the server that we just don't know about. I've added plugins like this before. They're really not hard at all to set up. The only one who needs access to it is kuckles and that is already done because he's OP. It's literally just uploading a couple files to the server for this particular plugin.

Witty Koala Comment AFKristmas's Avatar $ Donor $
    Junior Admin

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: AFKoalaaa Origin Code: Bubblez350 BattleNet Code: DMMurph#1990 Minecraft Code: AFK_Gaming
    Also, possible monies.